Do you have lots of leftover bread just resting on your kitchen counter? Or maybe you just want an excuse to buy that delicious sweet bread at the store? (I’m so guilty of that) Well this is a perfect recipe that uses up that leftover bread to make a delicious dessert (or breakfast if you’re feeling like it).Servings: 4 individual servings
- 3 slices day-old bread
- 1 tablespoon butter, melted
- 1/4 cup raisins (optional)
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 1 cup milk
- 1/4 cup and 2 tablespoons white sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Powdered sugar (optional)
- Fresh berries of your choice (optional)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C).
- Break or cut bread into small pieces (about 1 in cubes). Meanwhile in a microwave safe bowl, melt the butter or margarine and set aside.
- Pour into an 8×8 inch square baking pan or four 3 inch ramekins. Drizzle melted butter or margarine over bread. If desired, sprinkle with raisins.
- In a medium mixing bowl, combine eggs, milk, sugar, cinnamon, and vanilla. Beat until well mixed. Pour over bread, and lightly push down with a fork until bread is covered and soaking up the egg mixture.
- Bake in the preheated oven for 45 minutes, or until the top springs back when lightly tapped. Top with powdered sugar and fresh berries!