- 1 1/2 cups all purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 cup plain whole-milk yogurt
- 1 cup plus 1 tablespoon sugar
- 3 extra-large eggs
- 2 teaspoons grated lemon zest (approximately 2 lemons)
- 1/2 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 1/3 cup freshly squeezed lemon juice
- Preheat the oven to 350°F. Grease a standard 9×5-inch loaf pan, (or 12 standard muffin tin, or 9 mini-loaf tin)
- Sift together 1 1/2 cups flour, baking powder, and salt into a small bowl. In another medium bowl, whisk together the yogurt, 1 cup sugar, eggs, lemon zest, vanilla and oil. Slowly whisk the dry ingredients into the wet ingredients. Pour the batter into the prepared pan and bake for about 50 (+) minutes (if using a standard muffin tin or mini loaf tin, adjust the baking time to about 20-25 minutes) or until a cake tester placed in the center of the loaf comes out clean.
- Meanwhile, cook the 1/3 cup lemon juice and remaining 1 tablespoon sugar in a small pan until the sugar dissolves and the mixture is clear. Set aside.
- When the cake is done, allow it to cool in the pan for 10 minutes before flipping out onto a cooling rack. Carefully place on a baking rack over a sheet pan. While the cake is still warm, pour the lemon-sugar mixture over the cake and allow it to soak in (a pastry brush works great for this, as does using a toothpick to make tiny holes that draw the syrup in better). Cool.
Recipe adapted from Smitten Kitchen