- 1 lb. cucumbers (hothouse or English)
- 1 1/2 tsp. kosher salt
- 1 small clove garlic, minced (optional)
- 1 Tbsp. red chile flakes
- 1 tsp. rice vinegar
- 1 tsp. toasted sesame oil
- 2-3 tsp. sugar
- 1 tsp. toasted sesame seeds (optional)
- If using hothouse or English cucumbers, first cut them in half lengthwise and scoop out the seeds. Then cut in half lengthwise again and chop into 1/2-inch pieces.
- Place the chopped cucumbers in a strainer and set over a large bowl. Sprinkle the cucumbers with the salt and toss them gently to combine. Let the cucumbers sit for 30 to 60 minutes. (The salt will draw water out of the cucumbers)
- After they’ve sit, lay them on a clean kitchen towel or rolls of paper towels and roll up tightly to squeeze the excess water out.
- Put the cucumbers in a medium bowl, add the garlic, pepper flakes, rice vinegar, sesame oil, sesame seeds and sugar and toss to combine.
- Cover and chill the pickles for at least 30 minutes before serving. Cucumbers will last (in an airtight container) in the refrigerator for up to a week.