Serving Size: 4 Salads
- 1 onion, sliced
- Olive Oil
- Kale, 1 bunch
- Chard, 1 bunch
- 2 Cups cooked Quinoa (red or white)
- 3 heads of garlic, chopped
- Trader Joe’s Salsa Verde
- 4 Eggs, poached (Optional if Vegan)
- Use a wide sauté pan and coat the bottom of the pan with olive oil (about 1 teaspoon). Heat the pan on medium high heat until the oil is shimmering. Add the onion slices and stir to coat the onions with the oil. Cook for about 15 minutes, or until soft and caramelized.
- While the onions are cooking (using your hands or your kids) rip the kale and chard into large chunks, separating the leaves from the rib of the plants.
- Once the onions are cooked, add the kale and chard for about two minutes (or until just heated through). Then add the garlic and quinoa, and combine well.
- Plate the kale mixture into four bowls, top with a squeeze of lemon, salsa verde, and one egg each (optional). Enjoy!
I learned this recipe after working at a community work day at W 24th Street Garden. For more information about the Garden School Foundation visit their website.