This recipe is easy, delicious, and healthy. The ingredients can be prepared the night before (or the morning of) and stored in the refrigerator until you are ready to assemble.Having friends over? Have them roll their own spring rolls! Can’t find spring roll wrappers? Make it into a salad!
Serving Size: 8 Spring Rolls
- 1 Small Carrot
- 1/2 Cucumber
- 1 Head of Lettuce
- (1) 8 oz Package of Rice Noodles
- Shrimp, Chicken or Tofu
- Round Spring Roll Wrappers
- Peanut Dipping Sauce or Sweet Chili Sauce
- Wash all of your produce well and pat them dry (be sure to remove any excess water).
- Carefully cut the carrots and cucumber into 1/4″ matchstick pieces. Each piece should be about 3″ in length.
- In a small pot, boil enough water to cover the noodles. Once the water is at a medium boil (not violent), place the noodles in the pot and cook for about 3-4 minutes until al’dente. While the Poor the noodles into a strainer (removing any hot water) and then submerge them into an ice bath to stop them from cooking.
- Choose which protein you’d like to use & follow the instructions below
- Take one spring roll wrapper and place it under running water for a quick 4-5 seconds (be sure to hold the wrapper carefully!) Place the wrapper on a clean work surface and fill with the carrots, cucumber, lettuce, noodles, and protein. Wrap very carefully (like a burrito) and don’t worry if it takes you a couple of tries to get the hang of it!
- Take some pictures, laugh at the first one you made, and then devour!
*For Shrimp, boil the shrimp in water for about 3-4 minutes until the shrimp have turned pink-orange. Be sure to watch them carefully as they cook quickly! Once the shrimp are done, immediately drop them into an ice bath to prevent over cooking.
*For Chicken – cut the chicken (breast or thigh) into small pieces, and pan fry them over medium heat with a drizzle of canola oil for about 2 minutes on each side, insuring that they are cooked all of the way through. Be sure that the chicken pieces are about 2-3″ in length.
*For Tofu – select a medium-firm tofu and cut the tofu into small pieces (about 1/4″ thick, 1/2″ wide, and 2″ length). Pan fry them over medium heat with a drizzle of canola oil for about 2 minutes on each side or until golden brown.