Pizza is always a fun thing to eat for any occasion. This recipe is made for both kids and adults alike. You can make it simply with cheese or go fancy with porcine mushrooms and arugula. In my family it’s a tie between margarita (with tomato, mozzarella, and basil) and spinach, garlic, and chicken. So why not make both?
Besides the fact that you can put pretty much anything you want on top of your pizza, this recipe is great because it is also relatively cheap! You can usually find freshly made pizza dough in the deli section of your local supermarket. Let me tell you, it is WAY better then that stuff out of a can! Sorry Pillsbury…Once you go fresh, you’ll never go back.
- 1lb bag refrigerated fresh pizza dough or my Basic Pizza Dough
- 2 cloves of garlic, chopped
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- 1/3 cup crushed tomato
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- 1/2 tsp red pepper flakes
4 oz fresh buffalo mozzarella ball, thinly sliced
- 1/2 bunch fresh basil leaves, torn into small pieces
- Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
Spinach, Garlic, Mushroom & Chicken:
- Olive Oil
- 5 cloves of garlic, chopped
- 1 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
- 1/2 cup fresh spinach
- Salt & Pepper
- Chicken, cooked and cut into chunks (optional)
- Remove the pizza dough from the refrigerator about a half hour before you plan to start cooking and allow it to come to room temperature.
- Preheat the oven to 400F
- For the margarita pizza, combine the garlic, olive oil, tomatoes, and oregano in a small pot over medium heat. Once it boils, remove it from the heat; salt and pepper to taste.
- Roll out the pizza dough into a large crust (about 14-inches) and place on a greased pizza stone or pizza pan. Bake for about 5-7 minutes or until the dough is lightly browned. Then carefully flip the crust upside down on the pan (this ensures that the crust is crispy!)
- To make the margarita side, smear on the tomato sauce, layer on the mozzarella, sprinkle on the basil leaves, and drizzle with olive oil.
- For the other side, drizzle the olive oil onto the crust, smear on the garlic, and layer about 1/2 of the mozzarella. Then sprinkle on the spinach, chicken (optional), and top with the rest of the mozzarella. Add salt and pepper if desired.
- Bake the entire pizza for about 10 minutes or until the cheese is melted and bubbly. Be careful and keep an eye on the pie so it doesn’t burn!