- 2 1/2 cups medjool dates, pitted
- 1 cup raw almonds
- 1 cup old fashioned oats (not quick oats)
- 3/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1/4 tsp sea salt
- 1/4 cup coconut oil
- 1/4 cup cocoa powder
- 2 tablespoons honey or agave
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- In a bowl, soak the dates in hot water for at least 5 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in a food processor, pulse the almonds, rolled oats, cocoa, and salt, until finely ground (resembling coarse flour). Transfer to a bowl and set aside.
- Drain the excess water from the bowl and add the medjool dates to the food processor. Pulse until the dates are in small bits.
- Add the almond and oat mixture gradually into to the food processor in 1/2 cup increments. Continue to add/pulse until a dough like consistency is achieved.
- Scoop the brownie mixture into a parchment-lined 8″ x 8″ baking dish. Gently press down the mixture until it forms an even layer.
- For the chocolate layer, gently melt coconut oil in a saucepan over medium-low heat. Stir cocoa powder, honey, and vanilla extract into melted oil until well blended.
- Pour mixture over the brownie layer and refrigerate until set (about 1 hour).
- Enjoy these scrumptious little treats!