- 1½ cups All Purpose flour
- ¾ cup Whole Wheat flour
- 1½ cups Warm Water
- ½ tsp Active Dry Yeast
- Sponge (above)
- ¾ cup Warm water (120-130°F)
- 1 cup Whole Wheat flour
- 2 tsp Salt
- 1 tsp Active Dry Yeast
- 2 – 3 cups All purpose flour
SpongE *Make the night before*
- In a large mixing bowl, mix together 1½ cups flour, ¾ whole wheat pastry flour, 1½ cups warm water and ½ teaspoon yeast until well blended.
- Cover the bowl and let rest overnight on the counter.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer using the paddle attachment, combine sponge that has rested overnight, ¾ cup warm water, 1 cup whole wheat pastry flour, 2 teaspoons salt and 1 teaspoon yeast. Mix on low speed for two minutes. Switch to the dough hook and mix in 2 cups all purpose flour a little at a time, add more flour as needed to make a soft, sticky dough. Knead the dough for 5 minutes. Place in a greased bowl, turning to grease top. Cover; let rise in warm place until double, 1 hour.
- Punch down dough. Cover and let rest 10 minutes.
- On a floured surface, roll the dough into a 9×12-inch rectangle. Use a pizza cutter to cut the dough in three rows, each 3×12-inches. Cut each row into four 3-inch squares.
- Place rolls on two non-rimmed baking sheets lined with parchment paper. Cover with plastic wrapped sprayed with non-stick spray. Let rise until the rolls have risen and indentation remains if you lightly touch a roll, 30 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 450°F. Put a pizza stone in the oven to heat while rolls are rising.
- Slide parchment paper with 6 rolls on to preheated pizza stone and bake for 10 to 12 minutes until rolls are golden brown. Remove to a wire rack to cool completely before eating. Repeat with remaining 6 rolls.