- 1 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 ½ tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp baking soda
- ½ tsp salt
- ½ cup unsalted butter at room temperature
- 1 cup brown sugar, packed
- 2 large eggs at room temperature
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- ½ cup buttermilk
- 1 ½ cups ripe bananas, mashed (3-4 bananas)
- 3/4 cup chocolate morsels (dark or milk)
- Vegetable oil cooking spray
- Remove the butter and eggs from the refrigerator and allow them to come to room temperature. This actually is a really important step!
- Preheat oven to 350F and position a rack in center of oven.
- In a medium bowl, mix flour, baking soda, baking powder and salt.
- In a separate large bowl, using a standing mixer or hand mixer, cream butter and brown sugar until light and fluffy (about 2 minutes).
- Mix in eggs one at a time, incorporating each egg completely before adding the next. Mix in vanilla and continue beating for 2-3 minutes until light and fluffy.
- Mix in 1/3 of the dry ingredients, then 1/3 of buttermilk, then 1/3 of mashed bananas. Continue in this manner until all the ingredients are incorporated and the batter is smooth.
- With a spatula, gently stir in dark chocolate.
- Fill the pans 2/3 full with batter (be careful not to over fill the pans, because they will overflow!) Bake for 45 minutes at 350F then reduce the oven temperature to 325F and bake for additional 15 minutes, or until baked through. The safest way of knowing if it is finished is by testing it with a thermometer. The internal temperature should be 180-185F.
- Let the loaves cool in the pans for 10 minutes then turn them out carefully on a rack to cool for at least one hour before slicing.