I never thought I’d say this, but this has got to be hands down my favorite pie recipe to date. Originally titled “death by chocolate,” this recipe encompasses every chocolate lovers dream of chocolate mousse, chocolate sandwich cookies, and pie. It is incredibly easy to make, and oh so decadent!
Serving Size: 1 (9-in) Pie
- 15oz package of chocolate sandwich cookies (such as Oreo’s)
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 1 (12 oz) package semisweet chocolate chips
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 pinch salt
- 2 cups heavy cream
- 1/4 cup white sugar
- Whipped cream (homemade or store bought)
- Non-stick spray
- 9″ or 10″ Spring Form Pan
- Electric Hand/Stand Mixer
- Food processor
- Take the butter out of the refrigerator and allow it to come to room temperature (about 1 hour). If you are in a rush, microwave the butter in a microwave-safe container at 50% power in 1-minute intervals until it is softened (but NOT melted)
Baking the Crust:
- Preheat oven to 350F. Generously grease the springform pan with non-stick spray.
- Remove the cream filling out of the chocolate sandwich cookies and discard (or eat if that’s your thing?) In a food processor, mix together crushed cookies and softened butter until it is very finely ground and resembles the texture of sand. Press the mixture evenly into greased pan. Bake in preheated oven for 5 minutes, then allow it to cool.
Melt the Chocolate:
- While the crust is baking, combine 1 cup heavy cream, chocolate chips, vanilla extract, and salt, in the top of a double boiler. Heat until chocolate is fully melted and the mixture is smooth.
- Pour chocolate mixture into a bowl and set in the fridge. Cool until the chocolate is at room temperature. If the chocolate is too warm, it will melt the rest of the filling.
Whip the Cream:
- In a large bowl, beat 2 cups chilled cream and 1/4 cup sugar with an electric mixer. Beat until stiff peaks form essentially you’re making whipped cream. Fold whipped cream by hand into chocolate mixture very lightly with a silicone spatula. Pour mixture into cooled crust.
- Chill the pie in the refrigerator at least 6 hours before serving. Top with whipped cream.