I never thought I’d say this, but this has got to be hands down my favorite pie recipe to date. Originally titled “death by chocolate,” this recipe encompasses every chocolate lovers dream of chocolate mousse + chocolate sandwich cookies + pie. It is incredibly easy to make, and oh so decadent.
Serving Size: 1 (9-in) Pie
- 21 chocolate sandwich cookies, crushed
- 1/4 cup butter, softened
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 1 (12 oz) package semisweet chocolate chips
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 pinch salt
- 2 cups heavy cream
- 1/4 cup white sugar
- Whipped cream (homemade or store bought)
- 9″ or 10″ Spring Form Pan
- Electric Hand/Stand Mixer
- Take the butter out of the refrigerator and allow it to come to room temperature (about 1 hour). If you are in a rush, microwave the butter in a microwave-safe container at 50% power in 1-minute intervals until it is softened (but NOT melted)
- Preheat oven to 350F. Generously grease a 9-inch springform pan with 2 3/4 inch sides.
- In a medium bowl, mix together crushed cookies and softened butter or margarine. Press mixture evenly into greased pan. Bake in preheated oven for 5 minutes, then allow it to cool.
- Combine 1 cup cream, chocolate, vanilla extract, and salt, in the top of a double boiler. Heat until chocolate is fully melted and the mixture is smooth. Alternatively, if you have a food processor, you can blend mixture by placing chocolate, vanilla extract, and salt, in processor bowl. Bring 1 cup cream to a boil on the stovetop, then slowly pour cream into the processor with the blade running. Continue to process until mixture is smooth.
- Pour chocolate mixture into a bowl and cool to room temperature, stirring occasionally.
- In a large bowl, beat 2 cups chilled cream with 1/4 cup sugar. Beat until stiff peaks form. Fold whipped cream into chocolate mixture. Pour mixture into cooled crust.
- Chill pie at least 6 hours before serving. Pipe the whipped cream on top of the pie with a star tip, or place a spoonful on top of each slice.