If I had to choose an absolute favorite dish that my Tutu used to make, it would either be her famous lasagne or this Tex-Mex Mac & Cheese. It’s made up of delicious layers of pasta, spicy pork sausage, green chiles, and cheese, all topped with fresh tomatoes and cilantro.
- 16 oz dried mostaccioli or rigatoni pasta
- 2 lb pork sausage (Tutu swears by Jimmy Dean!)
- 1 cup white onion, chopped
- 1 (24 oz) jar green medium-hot salsa
- 1 (4 oz) can hatch green chiles
- 16 oz (~ 4 cups) shredded Monterey Jack or Sharp Cheddar cheese
- 1 cup tomato, diced
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh cilantro, roughly chopped
- 9″x13″(or any 3-quart) oven-safe baking dish
- Large skillet
- Preheat oven to 350 F and lightly grease 3-quart rectangular baking dish; set aside.
- In the large skillet, cook sausage and onion until meat is browned and onion is tender. Drain the fat. Return sausage and onion to skillet and mix in the green salsa.
- In the baking dish, layer half of the cooked pasta, half the sausage mixture, and half the cheese. Repeat layers until all ingredients are used.
- Bake uncovered for 35 minutes or until bubbly. Remove from the oven and let it stand at room temperature for 10 minutes before serving. Top with chopped tomato and cilantro and serve with additional salsa if desired.